Newton’s Sister Counties

 

ARKANSAS

GEORGIA

INDIANA

MISSISSIPPI

MISSOURI

TEXAS

 

 

Newton County, Arkansas was formed in 1842 from Carroll County. Jasper (Zip 72641) is the county seat. County Clerk has marriage, land records from 1866; divorce records from 1820; probate, civil court records from 1880.

Dec 14, 1842, Governor Archibald Yell signed the legislation creating Newton County. Newton County was formed from Carroll County. The first county seat was the home of John Bellah on Shop Creek near Parthenon. In 1843 the county seat was moved to Jasper. By 1856 there were 10 post offices within Newton County: Jasper, Walnut Fork, Borkand, Mt. Parthenon, Whiteley, Denton, Forest Home, Marshall Prairie, Cave Creek, and Mt. Judea. During the skirmishes of the Civil War in Newton County, Union soldiers came in and moved the citizens of Newton County to Springfield, Mo. While searching for Confederate John Cecil, they burned Japser to the ground. During the 1880's and 90's, Jasper was rebuilt and became a prosperous town.

VISIT Newton County, Arkansas GenWeb

 

Newton County, Georgia was formed by the Georgia General Assembly on December 24, 1821 from Henry, Jasper, Morgan and Walton Counties. Covington (Zip 30209) is the county seat. Clerk Superior Court has divorce, civil court and land records from 1822; service records from 1917.

Newton County was named for Revolutionary War hero Sergeant John Newton. The Creek Indians roamed the land until 1813 when Governor Thorp negotiated a treaty in which the Creeks gave up their claim to the land A decade later the last of the Creek Indians were banished to Oklahoma over the "Trail of Tears."

The first white settlers located in Eastern Newton County in a town then-named Winton. "The Brick Store" was built in 1822 and still stands today. Lack of adequate water caused the settlers to move further west and stablish Newtonsboro. The name was later changed to Covington after General Leonard Covington, a hero in the war of 1812. In 1853 Covington was incorporated as a City.

The coming of the railroad in 1845 was the beginning of the growth and stability of Newton County. Newton County's extensive agricultural base produced related industries, like textile mills, as early as the 1840's. After 1900, textiles became a major industry in the area serving the farmers of the surrounding counties.

General Sherman took many treasures from Southerners and Georgians. His army marched a path of death, fire and destruction from Savannah northward. Thankfully, Covington was spared the harsh punishment of these yankee troops. Many original antebellum homes and buildings still stand blended with modern buildings. Together they present an excellent comparison of the past and present. Source: Newton County Chamber of Commerce

VISIT Newton County Georgia GenWeb

 

Newton County, Indiana was formed in 1859 from Jasper County. Kentland (Zip 47951) is the county seat. County Health Department has birth and death-records, Town Hall has burial records, County Clerk has marriage records from 1850; civil court records from 1878; probate records from 1861; incomplete immigration records.

 

Newton County, Mississippi was formed in 1836 from Neshoba    Decatur (Zip 39327) is their county seat. Clerk of the Chancery Court has divorce, probate, civil court, wills and deed records from 1876; Clerk of the Circuit Court has marriage records. Most of the early records were lost due to a courthouse fire in 1876.

The territory we now know as Newton County was a well-watered, excellent hunting ground for its native Choctaw Indians, a very powerful, but peace-loving tribe. There may have been as many as 3,000 to 5,000 Choctaws in Newton County at the time of its early settlement by white people. Yet, they have almost gone from our midst, as only about 300 remain in Newton County.

The diverse lands of Newton County are divided into what is termed the ridge and branch lands -- some loamy, sandy upland, some level with good clay foundation, and some red clay subsoil. Quite an amount of bottom and creek lands, and the prairie in the southwestern part of the county. The first to be cultivated were usually the level table lands, with very little undergrowth, and rich, virgin soil underneath. Thousands of acres of prairieland were entirely unobstructed by timber or undergrowth. Most preferred by the settlers were the level, sandy uplands.

Originally part of Neshoba County, Newton County was included in a purchase by the U. S. Government, called the Treaty of Dancing Rabbit Creek (in Choctaw: "Chookfa Hitla Bogue"), signed September 28, 1830. Soon, the people of the southern half of the large county of Neshoba wanted a county of their own. On February 26, 1836, the Mississippi Legislature admitted Newton as a separate county, and commissioned three of its citizens -- William Donalson, Michael Thomas, and Francis Jones -- with the task of organizing the new county.

Newton County, named for the great philosopher and scientist, Sir Isaac Newton, is the only county in the state that is in the form of a square. The county is twenty-four miles square, with its seat of Decatur in the exact center.

By 1850, the population had doubled to 4,465 (not including the Indians), and much more interest was taken in schools and churches, and the general civilizing of the country. Better houses were being put up, and the Baptist church was soon built. A new courthouse (and a new jail) had taken the place of the old log house built in early days.

Source: Brown, A. J., The History of Newton County.

(c)Debbie Payne. All material provided is copyrighted to the public domain for non-commercial, non-profit use only. No commercial use is legal without permission of the/all author(s).

VISIT Newton County, Mississippi GenWeb

 

Newton County, Missouri was formed in 1839 from Barry County. In 1846 a two mile strip was detached from Newton and attached to Jasper. Neosho (Zip 64850) is the county seat. Newton County was named for Revolutionary War hero Sgt. John Newton.

County Clerk has marriage, divorce, probate, civil court and land records. Courthouse burned in 1862, fate of records unknown.

VISIT Newton County, Missouri GenWeb

 

Newton County, Texas was formed in 1846 from Jasper County, Texas. Newton (Zip 75966) is the county seat. County Clerk has birth and death-records from 1903; marriage records from 1846; probate and civil court records from 1870.